Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Basketball Clones

This is what I did for the clone project-several copies of the same person in the same photo. I shot this at the neighbourhood basketball court, laying the camera on a nearby table (and moving it a little to fix the angle; there's a bit of a ditch there which made it easy to change the angle by moving the table) and taking pictures of my sister in the places you see her, being careful not to move the camera too much (which made it a bit easier to cut and paste the extra people). I then got my sister to do the same for me. I put all the photos into Photoshop and picked out the ones I wanted to use, then copied the people in them and put them in this picture. All of them but one are Photoshopped but one; can you tell which? If you can't (and none of the 3 people I've asked could, so I think this turned out quite well) it means I did a good job. Highlight below for the answer:

The one shooting the ball was already there. I had to copy part of her arm and shoes to put them on top of me and my shadow.

The game plan was supposed to be that my clones were playing against my sister's. They were playing man-on-man defense but my sister's left clone did a pick, leaving my left clone trapped while the one he was guarding, her middle clone, ran a few metres up the court and is now about to shoot (or pass; you decide). My right clone saw what was going on and stepped away from his man (my sister's right clone who is now ready for a pass) and is attempting to block the shot. My middle clone was guarding her left clone and also abandoned his man but was too late to do anything. I didn't quite get the positioning of the clones on the left, so it looks like mine has already recovered, recognized his job as a lost cause, and maybe started guarding hers in the absence of my middle clone.

This is fairly open to other interpretations, but that's what I had in mind when I shot the photos.

Now, Mr. Sands has required us to answer 6 questions about the project. Some of them have been answered above, but I will answer the rest here:

If I had to do this again, I would get a third person to take the pictures. That way I could get the interactions between the pairs of clones (especially the pick) much more synchronized in space. The hardest part was getting the pixels immediately next to the clones to line up with their surroundings (although this wasn't as hard as getting rid of them would have been). And I learned how to make the tabs in Photoshop useful, as well as improving my skills with the program in general (which, if you look at the previous post, is not surprising).

No comments:

Post a Comment